Sunday 31 July 2016

An eclectic, unorganised mixture of ideas on the topic of How To Get Away With Murder

Week 2 out of 12

Oh. My. Sweet. Lord.

So basically guys, I've watched two entire seasons of a TV show in A WEEK.

And I know that it's not a massive deal, because there are people out there who watch six seasons in a day, whatevs. This is a massive achievement for me because I didn't even speed through Jane the Virgin so quickly, which I was convinced was the best things since canned sweetcorn. 

(Just trying to spice up the old adage, guys. And I LOVE canned sweetcorn)

Okay, I'll just say it... it was How to Get Away with Murder.


DAMN, DAT SHOW DO!!!!!!


See this is one of the bad things about speeding through a show like that, because your head is still this whirling mess of ideas and opinions and feels and THERE IS NO WAY FOR YOU TO EXPUNGE!

So this post will literally just be me putting the whirling mess that is my mind right now, onto paper and trying to form into some semblance of order. I ought to warn you now that I doubt that it will make much sense, because my fingers are typing so fast they're literally just a blur to me, so there will probably be random letters and pieces of punctuation floating around when there shouldn't be. I'm just putting random thoughts onto the computer screen here, and also jumping back and forth from season to episode to character and stuff.

And also:


Don't complain that I didn't put that out there.

SO AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!


WHAT WAS THAT SEASON TWO FINALE ENDING? AND WHY DOES IT FEEL THAT MY FLAUREL SHIP HAS SUNK FURTHER THAN THE TITANIC?

Frank and Laurel though...


They are both two out of my four favourite characters. (The others being Connor and Asher, obviously). Out of everyone, they were the ones I liked consistently from the beginning. And my criteria for how much I like a character is defined by whether I could see myself hanging out with them and having top bantz while doing it. And the answer is yes. Frank and Laurel would definitely be allowed on to the Banter-Wagon

But what has happened to them?! Laurel is amazing, but girl, WHACHOO DOING???? The thing is though, that I can't even be too angry at her, because I completely get both sides of the thought process. On the one hand, although Frank may not have been the one driving the car that landed Annalise in hospital, this isn't one of those moments when you can console someone by saying "This isn't your fault, a hundred things could happened, this isn't down to you." But in this instant, it was actually Frank's fault. If he hadn't gotten so pissed off at Annalise (which, I can't deny, she earned) he wouldn't have wanted to hurt her by helping Mahoney's lackey. And then the whole chain of events that killed Baby Keating wouldn't have happened. Of course, that's not the/main reason that Frank and Laurel broke up, but this is just a mish mash of ideas to do with Frank's character, and whether there is redemption for him from Laurel's point of view.

On a side note, it was good to see old, non-adulterous, nice Sam back on our screens again. I have to say that although I knew Annalise didn't have the, let's say, most reliable moral compass, it was a little disconcerting to see how quickly got over the fact that Sam was dead. And I know obviously, she can't have been one hundred percent over him, it was just a facade, everyone grieves differently, she's just trying to get on with things, blah blah blah. But knowing that the man you loved for so many years, who you left your girlfriend for (who was crazy about you), had been killed, dismembered, incinerated, etc, would have to affect you in some way. So it was nice (is nice the right word?) to see that she wasn't as hard-hearted as she seemed, that the impassive, stoic front was just that- a front. And also the scene where Annalise was with her mum and they were "burying" the baby in the back garden, was a terrific, poignant, emotional scene, especially with the whole naming the baby Sam thing. Viola Davis' acting never fails to completely knock my socks off.

So ANYWAY, back to my Flaurel dilemma, 

I also know, of course, that it's one thing to kill a man, another thing to kill a baby (although that is again, debatable). And poor Sam was SO excited, bless him, about becoming a father. (Which, for me, made it weird that he was able to forgive Frank so easily. Well, not forgive, but I don't know if I could be around and pretend to like someone I KNEW was responsible for the death of my unborn kid). It also makes you wonder how different everything would be if Baby Keating had survived. Annalise would be less of a bitch (hopefully), Sam wouldn't have cheated on her, their marriage and relationship would be stronger, Wes wouldn't have killed Sam, Frank wouldn't have had to kill Lila, Wes wouldn't have gotten suspicious of Rebecca, they wouldn't have to abduct her, Bonnie wouldn't have to kill her...

You get my drift.

And this just actually makes me love Laurel more. She was always, as I said previously, one of my favourite characters, and one of the reasons for that was, despite all the homicides she was an accessory to, and the fact that her father seems to be some sort of South American, Mafia style mob leader, she still had a conscience. She went into law because she genuinely wanted to help people. So if Frank had gone "Hey Laurel, I may or may not have strangled a girl who was sleeping with my boss' husband, in return for him keeping quite that it was my fault that the aforementioned boss miscarried her baby because I was pissed off that she wasn't nice to me when I brought her coffee" and Laurel had just replied "LOL bro, don't care, I'd still bang you any day," I would have lost just a teensy bit of respect for her. It goes to show that Laurel is a strong woman, and that she don't need no man if he has a morally dubious character.

Even if he is a damn FINE male specimen.


 BUT, at the same time, come on Laurel! Worse things have happened, and I know that Frank in general is a shady character, with a murky past and basically does all of Annalise's dirty work, planting DNA, obtaining illegal drugs etc etc. (That's one of the things that I hope Season 3 goes into. We know that if it wasn't for Sam, Frank wouldn't be working for Annalise, but what exactly did Sam do? I'd love to see them go into his back story.). But no one on this show is a hundred percent innocent. Everyone has blood on their hands, even if it splashed on to them off someone else. Annalise has landed innocent people in prison so that her client can walk free. Wes bashed in Sam's head with a trophy. Bonnie suffocated Rebeccca. Asher ran over that COW Sinclair. And Laurel doesn't even know the full story- she never gave Frank a chance to explain himself to her, to try and justify himself. I know that obviously it's gonna take a hell of a lot of justification, but it has to start, right?

And let's not forget that animal magnestism between you two. In show FULL of sex (seriously, at the end of one episode, there's actually an honest to God sex montage, with Annalise and Nate, Connor and Oliver, Michaela and Caleb, and Frank and Laurel), I'm willing to put money on the fact that Frank and Laurel rack up the most minutes for onscreen sex.


Mmmhmm. Tell me there's nothing between you, Laurel. I'll believe you.

I've done with my Flaurel rant now. Man, feels good to have it off my chest! All I'm gonna leave it at is that they BETTER get back together. I'm sure they will, but Nowalk better watch his back and decide what to do with their story very carefully...

And also, what happened with Mahoney!? In case anyone needed reminding:


I know that some people might think that it was Frank, out for perhaps revenge for the fact that if Mahoney hadn't gotten that woman working for him to make Frank put the bug in Annalise's room that led to the demise of poor Baby Keating, he wouldn't be in the deep shit that he's in now, but come on, Frank is too smart for that. If, as I suspect, he is actually a Mafia-esque, Italian hitman, he is too much of a hardened guy to let his emotions get the better of him and do something stupid like that. Well, at least Annie and her crew will have something to preoccupy them for Season 3.

Okay, my hour is nearing its completion, just a few things left:


  • Wes is such an idiot, man. I kind of feel horrible for saying that cos I look at him and see Dean Thomas, but mate, that's what happens when you leave Hogwarts. He's just an annoying character, even though I get his reasoning behind all of the decisions he makes. They're just crap.
  • What was with Oliver deleting Connor's acceptance thingy from Stanford?! To be honest, Connor is too good for Stanford if it's that easy to pull out of your place there- no way can you just pick up the phone, say "Peeps, I've decided I'm fine where I am," and they'll just be like "Cool mate, see ya." I get that Oliver is kind of excited by Connor's job (because he's a bit of a noob like that) and is living his daredevil daydreams vicariously through him, but what does he think will happen once Connor (and it's obvious he will) finds out? 
  • Speaking of Connor and Oliver, they are by far my all time favourite gay characters. There's so many gay male characters you come across in books and movies that act overly camp and are just there to offer fashion and love advice to the female lead, and use phrases like "ZOMG baby gurl!!!" that make you want to smash something. It's great to see characters that aren't defined by their sexuality. The showrunners are like "Here are two men. They are gay. Now move on." Respect for that, man.
  • If Wes gets a paternity test proving Mahoney is his father, he can claim inheritance can't he? And will he come face to face with Mahoney's family, especially his incarcerated stepbrother? That'll be an interesting showdown.
  • And how can we forget this:



Ship it. #MakeMasherEndgame.

Why does poor Asher seem to fancy women who are cold, dismissive and initially want nothing to do with him? Michaela doesn't seem to be holding back, to be fair. And I might not be that hopeful if they hadn't almost had sex on that desk in the office in the finale, so I actually really want them to get together. I thought Michaela was a bit of a prat at first, but as she loosened up, I began to thaw as well. And who doesn't love Asher? 


So, that's it for this week! Please, someone take pity on me and comment something, even if you just bash your face repeatedly against the keyboard. I'm feeling quite disheartened. But honestly, what do you think about the whole Flaurel situation, and are you as excited for Season 3 as me?

QUICK NOTE:  I HAVE READ THE CURSED CHILD, GOT MY COPY FROM WATERSTONES THIS MORNING BUT UNFORTUNATELY COULD NOT GO TO THE MIDNIGHT LAUNCH PARTY BECAUSE MY PARENTS ARE BLOODY MUGGLES, AND I WILL BE REVIEEWING IT FOR NEXT WEEK AS SOON AS I POSSIBLY CAN BECAUSE I HAVE SO MUCH TO SAY ABOUT IT!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment